Healthy Recipe: Chunky Vegetarian Chili
This recipe was provided by the Lenoir County Farmers Market newsletter. Minges Wellness Center supports fresh foods, healthy eating and healthy lifestyles. We recommend finding all the freshest ingredients at the local Lenoir County Farmers Market.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Serves 8, each 1 cup serving contains: Calories 257, Fat 2.7 g, Protein 12.8 g, Carbohydrate 48.8 g, Fiber 14.2 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 876 mg.